Sunday, November 20, 2022

Can plants grow in all climates?

 

Providing that the plant is grown in an ecosystem with good soil, air, warmth, sunlight, and food. Climate changes could be endured for a given period of time.

A given climate for your plants must involve the plant's basic needs, such as quality of soil, sunlight, temperature, growing season, and of course rain or irrigation needs.

You can grow plants in climates that a given plant is used to. Such as tropical plants in a tropical climate. However, it has been my experience to force plants to grow in climates that a plant is not used to. Yet it is by re-creating the plants' normal climate environment. ie: a greenhouse or grow sheets or row covers.

Years ago I grew a pineapple plant in Western North Carolina without a greenhouse. This was a real challenge during the winter. Growing the plants in large plastic pots allowed me to move them inside during winter. Then come spring through mid-fall I moved the plants outside.

It proved to be a very laborsome job as the plants got more extensive. Over time I lost most of my plants and got down to two or three plants, with only one that produced a pineapple. It took me a full four years to get one pineapple. The photo is the one pineapple I grew in the temperate zone of Western North Carolina.

But the project was very educational and that was worth the effort in itself. Will I grow pineapples again? Not likely.

Your answer is Yes and No based on what type of plant and your reason for growing it. And if you can set aside the time.

This question comes from Quora: Can plants grow in all climates?


Updated Feb. 27th,2023 

Yes, you can grow a pineapple from even a store-bought one. When you cut the crown from the fruit leave about 1 1/2 inches of the meaty fruit still intact to the crown. This part will be buried in the soil of your pot and will be a source of food for the crown to grow from.

A pineapple is a labor of love and attention because it takes a long time for the fruit to come. At least it did for me when I grew my own pineapple.

This is my very own pineapple it tasted so, so much better than any store-bought that I ever had before or since. And until I get a greenhouse I am sorry to say I will never be able to grow one that good again. They are fun and great, but living in a mobile home and limited space as well as cold and snow. This is a tropical plant and can be grown even in temperate ones but must be in a pot that can be brought into the house during the fall and winter months.  

Protected by Copyscape

No comments: